Feb

recycled crayons

Sick kids = not many pictures of them. They are on the mend though so I hope to take some great pics of them this weekend. I have a new setup that I’m dying to try out. In the meantime, here’s another craft. Kirsten loves colouring and we have so many broken crayons. You can easily ‘recycle’ them into any cool shape. Remove all wrappers from your crayons and break the crayons into small pieces. Place in a muffin tin (I used a star shaped silicone one) and bake at 275F for about 15 minutes (until all the crayons are melted). Remove from oven and allow to set completely – at least 1 hour. Enjoy your new crayons!

15 thoughts on “recycled crayons

1. Becca

They are sooo cute!!! May I ask how you clean your molds after using them for the crayons? I had a hard time with mine :( Thank you!

Hi Becca! I’ve never had the crayons leave any stain or residue in my silicone pans. I just threw them in the dishwasher afterwards. Sorry I can’t be more help!

3. The Vogt Family

Tried these today with my almost 4 year old and it was a big hit! Thank you, I LOVE your blog! We’re having a play date tomorrow and trying out the water/baby oil/alka seltzer project. :)

4. Kate

I used a silicone star shaped icecube try and when i tried to remove the crayons they all cracked and broke. How did you get yours out?

Hi Kate! Sorry you had trouble removing your crayons from the mold! Maybe because they were too small and fragile, being the ice-cube size? Mine was a muffin tin size. Other than that, I really don’t know. After they were set (at least 1 hour) they popped right out when I pressed on them from the bottom.

6. cucicucicoo

i tried this this past summer, but the wax separated from the pigment, so we ended up with one side colored and the other uncolored wax! do you have any idea why this happened? they also stuck/broke apart as i tried to take them out of the mold, but i see you addressed this with the commenter before me. if you’re by any chance interested, i wrote about it here. (i also linked to you there.)

thanks for sharing your great project! :) lisa

So sorry it didn’t work out for you. I honestly have no idea why. I wonder if it happens what brand/quality of crayon is used. I used crayola – do you happen to know what crayons you used?? Otherwise I haven’t a clue. I also wonder if maybe you could spray the silicone mold with cooking spray or something so they might pop out easier? Like I said above, I didn’t have any trouble, so I don’t know. So sorry!

2. cucicucicoo

thanks for your response, jill! yeah, i think the problem might’ve been that there were all different types of crayons in there, not all of the same quality. alas! but thank you anyway! :)