May

flashback: Camden’s Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st birthday party

As I’ve begun preparing for my little ladies 3rd birthday coming up, I wanted to share some photos from my little guys 1st birthday. Sure, his birthday was 4 1/2 months ago, but I didn’t have a blog back then to share how cute it was. My little guy had a great party and it was such a fun theme to do. The kids absolutely loved making the thumbprint very hungry caterpillars too. It was such a great keepsake. If anyone is looking for ideas for a very hungry caterpillar birthday, I have a lot. Here’s the pictures from my little man’s big day:

34 thoughts on “flashback: Camden’s Very Hungry Caterpillar 1st birthday party

1. krdub

Thanks Jill for sharing all of these wonderful pictures of the kids as well as your great crafts. We wish you a wonderful Happy Mother’s Day. love from us! x0x0xx0

2. jenrunde

As if you posted today!!! Perhaps it’s all a farce and you’re not really sick. Hmmmm … an elaborate scheme to get out of dinner at my house, me thinks.

3. Maura

Jill,
    I am planning a similar party for my soon to be one year old. Thanks for posting pictures of all your great ideas. I plan to copy that canvas idea. What a special piece to use to decorate and remember those tiny finger prints.

Sara – email sent.

To make the thumbprint very hungry caterpillar I just used regular crayola kids paint (for the red and green thumbprints). I used markers for the details. Hope that helps!

5. Sheri

Love the shirt! I found it on Etsy, but I may try and make my own. Where did you get the leaf bowls and the noise makers? I snagged up some cheap hungry caterpillar invites, a tablecloth and some napkins when they were on clearance at Target. I probably missed some of the other items that were part of this theme. Thanks for the great ideas!

Sheri – I got the leaf bowls at oriental trading – I think they call them serving trays, but they are really more like plate/bowl size. I got the noisemakers at the Eric Carle Museum of Art website. They have some great birthday party supplies there.

7. Kevin

Hi, Jill! I love your party decorations, including the Happy 1st Birthday Camden cards stuck in the candy. My son’s name is Camden as well and I am planning a Very Hungry Caterpillar party for his first birthday. Would you happen to still have the template for those? I am not crafty like you are! If you do and you would be willing to share (or let me know how you made them), could you please email me at kelfi1@yahoo.com. Thanks so much! :) Kelly

Hi Kevin. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I’m just catching up on my comments now. I actually bought them off of Etsy. I’m not that great at graphic design myself. If you search Very Hungry Caterpillar on Etsy you’ll find all kinds of fabulous people who sell awesome stuff for parties just like this. I hope that helps!

Hi Mauree! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, but blogger has been acting up and I was unable to post comments on my blog. Since so many people have asked, I’m just going to post the link to the seller’s shop here:

I got the very hungry caterpillar long-sleeved onesie without any personalization. It was extremely well-made and absolutely adorable.

Hope that helps!

1. Wyatt's Mommy

Jill,
      The Etsy link you provided above directed me to The Peachy Owl instead of sweet3leafprints. Please send any other contact information you may have associated with the maker of the VHC Birthday shirt you posted above. Thank you for sharing the photo of your son wearing the cute shirt, this will be perfect for my son’s 1st Birthday. I especially like the apple with the catepillar on the back. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks a bunch!

I believe she changed her shop name to the Peachy Owl – but it’s the same seller I purchased from. Maybe send her a link to my picture and see if she can make one for you??

10. Kimberly Shultz

Hi, Jill! I love your party decorations, including the Happy 1st Birthday Camden cards stuck in the candy. I looked on the link that you provided below with no luck. Do you have any other info available? Thanks so much!

APRIL 15, 2011 1:26 PM

Hi Kimberly! I checked the link I provided to the shirt, and you’re right, she doesn’t have any available right now. I’m sure if you convo her on Etsy though she’ll be able to tell you if she can make you one. It really is so cute! I got most of the party decorations at the Eric Carle Museum of Art – they have an online store and I got the candy cards also on Etsy. If you search ‘hungry caterpillar’ on Etsy, you’ll find lots of great stuff. I hope that helps!

12. Becs1218

Hi there!

I was just searching for caterpillar themed birthday parties for my sons first birthday and I came across your blog and LOVE your hungry caterpillar decorations! My son Camden is turning one in september so I found it very neat that not only did I find the cutest decor i’ve seen for this theme on your blog, but I also have a son with the same name! :) I am very interested in where you came up with his name considering it isn’t very popular. I named my son Camden because I love the nick name Cam, and because it is an area of London (my hubby is British :) Also we chose it because it i just a lovely name in general. Hope to hear back from you soon. :)

13. Becs1218

I also wanted to ask where you found some of your decorations. I love the “Happy 1st birthday Camden” sticks as well as his caterpillar onesie. Did you find these on etsy?

Hi Becs1218! That’s so cool that your son’s name is Camden too! My husband and I picked it because he is Scottish (and the name is Scottish) and we really loved it. We call him Cam too ;-) If you have any other questions about the party, please don’t hesitate to ask! Good luck with it!