Sep

kool-aid play doh

This kool-aid play doh is great. My kids adore playing with play doh, I mean what kid doesn’t. This is colourful, smells great, is squishy and fun. It’s great that I know all the ingredients in it, and they’re all safe for consumption, so if my little guy who loves to put EVERYTHING in his mouth decides to have a taste test, I know he’s not going to get sick. The only downside to this is that it has to be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I hate giving up any fridge space to non-edible items. Our fridge is always overflowing with food and we need all the space we can get. It’s not too bad though, I found small snap containers at the dollar store and I keep this at the back of my fridge. The recipe I used makes a lot of play doh and I even halved the recipe. Here’s the recipe I used:

What You Need:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup salt
1 pkg.(6 g) Kool-Aid Unsweetened Drink Mix, any flavour
1 Tbsp. Cream of tartar
1 cup boiling water
1 1/2 Tbsp. oil
wax or parchment paper
small airtight containers – I got mine at the dollar store

Make It:

MIX first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Add boiling water and oil; stir with fork 3 to 4 min. or until cooled, then mix with hands until well blended.

PLACE on waxed or parchment paper; knead until no longer sticky, adding additional flour 1 tsp. at a time if necessary.

How to Store:

Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Repeat above process for each colour of kool-aid play doh you want to make.

Idea adapted from Kraft Canada

52 thoughts on “kool-aid play doh

1. krdub

Hi Jill,
    Just thought I would add my two cents. As James knows, I’ve been making play dough for 10 thousand years. If any kids out there have egg allergies, then skip the cream of tartar. Food colouring is great but the best colours do come from the Kool-Aid type drink mixes. For older kids, you can add fine glitter for a sparkling play dough. The list can go on. The play dough will also keep for awhile in a plastic zip-lock type of bag. For adults, it’s a great stress reliever similar to the stress balls that people use. Love your blog. Great photos & great creativity. Miss everyone! And a H. B. to Kaitlyn today! love from us!

1. olivia

Trying to figure out if cream of tartar is ok for egg allergies. Most of wbat i am seeing says no, are you sure that it is not ok for egg allergies?

Hi Olivia! I honestly have never dealt with an egg allergy so I don’t really feel comfortable telling you if it’s safe or not. If you’re concerned at all, I probably wouldn’t use it. There are lots of homemade play-doh recipes out there. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips! If I left out cream of tartar, do I have to put something else in instead? I’m pretty sure Kirsten would love some glitter in her play doh, I’ll have to try that next time I make a batch. We had a great time at Kaitlyn’s birthday party yesterday, even though Cam was overtired and cranky because he missed his nap. Lets just say the kids slept very well last night.

Hi Cherie!

I don’t know for sure how long this stuff keeps. You have to keep it in the fridge and it kept for months. I ended up throwing it out because my kids had mixed all the colours together long before it went bad. I hope that helps!

4. Xandra@Heart-of-Service

Do you know why it needs to be refrigerated? This is the same recipe I’ve used for years, except there is Kool-Aid instead of food dye. I’ve always stored mine in an airtight container and it keeps for a really long time. Just wondering.

Xandra

Thanks Kristi!

Xandra – I have no idea why it needs to be refrigerated. I got the recipe from Kraft and it said to refrigerate it, so I did. I think I’ll try doing what you do and save my fridge space if I can. Thanks for the tip!

6. Stuart

Hi i have just found this post and would love to make the doh. however i live in the UK and i have not heard of Kool-Aid. Can you tell me what it is so i can see if i can get somthing simmlar over hear. it does make the colour of the doh so good unlike food colouring.

Stuart – I know they don’t sell kool-aid in the UK because I’ve had other readers tell me that. I can’t believe it! It’s flavored drink crystals that you mix in water to make juice. I’m not sure what you guys would have that would be similar??

8. Johnette

Just have to say…thank you! I am a single mom and low on money…and we needed gifts..this was perfect. We had everything but the cream of tartar. When they cooled we added glitter…will make such great gifts..plus can use it in my classroom. Thanks again! Finally a recipe that works!

9. Krissa

I’m so glad I found your blog today!!! I’ve found lots of cute things I want to do with my son as well as my daycare kiddos!! So glad I came across this playdough today…my son and I will be making it tonight for him to give to his friends for Christmas!! Thanks for all the fun ideas!!

10. teej213

I have done this with and without the cream of tartar and didn’t notice much of a difference. Also, never kept in fridge, just airtight container. The batch I made for my son’s 1st grade class last year in December lasted until summer break (June) and was still fine!

11. Chelsa

Hi Jill, I am wanting my class to use this but to let it dry after they are done with their design…does the play dough just harden or does it get moldy or smell after a while?

Hi Chelsa!

It definitely gets hard if you leave it out, but I’m not sure about smelly or moldy. I’ve never really saved it that long. Sorry!

13. Southernsweetie

I have never seen a no cook playdoh recipe before. I followed the directions and needed about an additional 1/2 CUP of flour, and it was still stickier then I would have liked. The second batch I cooked, as I have always done, and it shaped up quite nicely with no additional flour needed.
    I have never kept my playdoh in the fridge. If you keep it in an airtight container it’ll keep a very long time. Loved the ease of color from the kool aid and it smells wonderful.:)

Thanks for the tips Southernsweetie! I never liked keeping this stuff in the fridge. There’s barely any room in there for non-edible items!!

15. Aryn

I have read other places that have suggested using baby oil instead. I will be making it for my daughter’s 7th birthday and wanted to know if that would work as well, if ingestion is not a concern. I’ve heard it smells better.

Would you be using the baby oil in place of the regular oil?? I’ve never heard of that but can’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know if you try it!

16. Joy

Do you know if it would be possible to use warm water instead of boiling water? I am thinking about doing this as a group craft with 6 to 8 year olds.

I’m not too sure Joy! I haven’t tried it with just warm water. I’m worried that maybe the kool-aid wouldn’t dissolve – even when you make kool-aid you need boiling water. If you do try it – please let me know! Thanks!!

17. Joy

It worked! My only issue was that the dough seemed to need a lot more flour than it did with the boiling water. It could be that I added a little too much oil or water, though. Thanks for the recipe and the awsome blog!

18. Kristen

My sis in law made this in 6 colors for my boys 3 Christmases ago- it only just dried up! It was kept in little zip loc lidded containers. Asked for recipe and got link to this blog- made as recipe and turned out perfect! I used my kitchen aid dough hook for mixing/kneading ease.