Dec

gingerbread cookies for Santa

Today we made gingerbread men for Santa. The kids had so much fun and so did I. Kirsten helped me make the cookies and then both the kids had a blast decorating them. I’ll also share the recipe I use for gingerbread cookies. It’s fantastic – soft, chewy and delicious. Here’s some pictures of our day today:

Kirsten “helping” me make cookies by using the cookie cutters as glasses:

The table all set up waiting for the kids to go decorating crazy:

There’s some serious decorating going on here (and a lot of sampling too – especially by my little Cam!):

I decorated some cookies for the reindeer, because they get hungry too you know:

Santa is going to love his cookies tomorrow night!

Here’s the recipe I use:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup molasses
1 egg
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg.
Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; blend into the molasses mixture until smooth.
Cover, and chill for at least one hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Let cool for 10 minutes on pan. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
Frost or decorate when cool.

Recipe adapted from Sing for your Supper

27 thoughts on “gingerbread cookies for Santa

1. Jennifer Runde

Looks good – love your reindeer cookies!! I made snowman sugar cookies for the girlies to decorate tomorrow.
    I need to borrow your glue gun – left both of mine at school – and I need to do the dishes for Allison’s play food. Bring it to mom and dad’s tomorrow – I’ll call you in case you don’t get this message.

2. Mama-Bug

I was looking for a cute Christmas cookie to take to our playgroup cookie exchange this month. Your reindeer cookies are absolutely perfect!! Thanks for sharing the cute idea :)

3. Lauren

Awesome! I was just adding gingerbread cookies to my “day of xmas baking” and was wondering how in the dickens you’re supposed to decorate them. The reindeers are too cute and simple (great for my impatient cookie decorating style). Thanks for sharing! Stopping by way of Tip Junkie’s linky party.

Hi Sarah!

I don’t know exactly how many, but it makes a lot. See the second picture? It made all those cookies, plus the reindeer ones too. It makes lots!!

Amy – I still rolled out the dough and used a circle cutter to make them. Otherwise you wouldn’t get a perfect circle. If you don’t care about a perfect circle the other method might work as well. I hope that helps and good luck!

Thanks! For the reindeer – melt some wilton light cocoa candy melts and squeeze on the details with a squeeze bottle or ziploc bag with a small hole cut in the corner. I hope that helps!

6. beamj

I was wondering if you used any specific kind of molasses. I only ask because I followed your recipe Nd my cookies turned out a dark brown instead of a lighter brown like yours and I was a little bummed cuz you cant see the frosting as well. On another note these are sooo cute!! Thanks for sharing!!

7. rileydog

Wow…these are awesome! The recipe is perfect- chewy and light, not dense or hard at all, even the day after.
    I made the circle reindeer, and used a wine glass as my cutter (make due with what you got, right? haha) and one batch made 30 cookies! Thanks for sharing xx

Not a silly question at all! You can use some of the melted chocolate that you are using for the reindeer antlers, or a little dab of frosting.