Jan

kool-aid lip gloss

Disclaimer – please try this craft at your own risk. I had absolutely no trouble making this, but so many of my readers who have tried it have not had success. I don’t like anyone wasting their time or money on crafts and I understand how frustrating that can be. Please know if you try this out, it may or may not work for you. I really can’t figure out why it has worked for some and not for others.

UPDATE: I think some of my fabulous readers figured out the secret. Here’s a couple of their comments and hopefully you too will have success!

Jenelle posted – I’ve figured it out!!!!! The kool-aid disolving problem is a result of the liquid being way too hot. When you heat (whether over the stove like I did, or in the microwave as others have suggested), wait for it to cool until it’s almost getting solid again. Kool-aid cooks when its too hot – it must be just barely warm, luke warm, or cool to disolve properly. I found this out by mistake, as my first batch did not work. The second, I realized the scientific issue and waited for my melted jelly to nearly cool again before mixing in the kool-aid – and wa-la – lip gloss. Please pass this along. I truly am certain this is the key and the major caveat that should be included in this recipe. :-)

Kimberlyann posted – Hey there, I made a batch tonight with great success. I think the secret is … stirring! I used Wal*Mart brand Kool-Aid and Vaseline and I only ended up microwaving the jelly for a total of five minutes. Between each 30 burst I stirred and stirred, and when it just began to get hot, I stirred until it liquified. Then, I left it to cool for a few minutes (it was room temperature, but still liquid) before stirring in the Kool-Aid. Thanks so much for the idea, and thanks to the other commenters for the tips!

Thank-you so much for the tips ladies!!

Chapped lips are in full swing at my house this time of year, so Kirsten and I decided to make our own lip gloss. We made them just in time for Valentine’s day too, so we can give some away to our special friends. I bought small lip gloss containers and made up some labels using my stellar graphic design skills – lol! They aren’t anything fancy, but I’ll share them here in case anyone else wants to make some of these. This is really easy using only 2 ingredients – vaseline and kool-aid. We used cherry and strawberry kool-aid and they turned out fantastic. This was a lot of fun, is great for their lips, and tastes pretty good too. The cherry flavour even has a little tint to it. I’ve been using it myself! Here’s how we made them:

1 tub petroleum jelly (vaseline)
1 pkg of kool-aid drink crystals – whatever flavour you want, or you can make a few
lip gloss containers
labels printed out on sticker paper
scissors or 1 inch paper punch

1. put about 1 cup vaseline in a microwave safe bowl
2. heat the vaseline in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each heating. It took me about 7-8 minutes to melt each batch of vaseline. It will be liquid when it is fully melted. It will be very hot! Make sure you wear gloves or oven mitts and make sure children are being supervised.
3. take out of microwave and stir in kool-aid drink crystals until desired colour is reached – I used the whole package for each batch. Stir until the crystals are completely dissolved.
4. if starting to solidify you can heat again for another 30 seconds – skip this step if it is still liquidy
5. pour into your lip gloss containers and leave to solidify – a couple hours
6. repeat this whole process if making more flavours
7. print out labels on sticker paper
8. using either a 1 inch punch, or scissors, cut out the circle labels and attach to your lip gloss container
9. give to all your favourite people, but remember to save a few for yourself too!

Kirsten trying out her new lipgloss! Love her little kissy face.

Here’s what the labels look like:

Click here to download your free lip gloss labels

Linking up to Tot Tuesdays
Linking up to ABC and 123
Linking up to Kids Get Crafty

If the lip gloss containers that I used above are sold out (as they sometimes tend to be), here are some other options you can use:

261 thoughts on “kool-aid lip gloss

1. Alex

This is way too cool. Thanks so much for sharing it. If you don’t mind, when I get to do this, I’d like to share it on my blog (with of course, linking back to you). Let me know if that’s ok!

- Alex

alexpominville at gmail dot com

2. Jennifer Runde

Those turned out GREAT! I think we’ll have to make some – it’s chapped lipped season in our house, too. Where did you say you got the containers? I know you told me, but I forgot … as usual.
    Love the pic of Kirsten!

3. Jill - FNA Photography

Love it – Please don’t be upset with me for sharing this comment – but there is a non toxic version of vaseline (petroleum free) called alba un-petroluem jelly – it is perfect for what you are making and won’t need to be microwaved for the right consistency either. which makes the vaseline even more toxic.

I wrote a book on health and knowing children will be using this I want others to be aware of the dangers of regular lip gloss and balms.

This is an awesome gift and they look so pretty!!!! Love the photo of your daughter!

Hugs and love – Jill

1. TWG

Where do you purchase this alba un-petroleum jelly? I looked at Walmart.com, didn’t find it. On eBay, it’s quite expensive. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

I’m not really sure what you could use. I did make this using cocoa powder and made chocolate lipgloss with it. Any powdered drink crystals should work too.

4. Kara

Who knew! What a great idea! Eva is obsessed with my lip gloss lately so this will be a perfect way to make her some of her own. You are brilliant!

5. Eastlyn and co.

Great idea. I remember mixing a little vanilla in with plain vaseline as a kid to make “lip gloss” but this sounds so much more fun! I think my 12-year-old will probably enjoy making some, too.

Thank-you ladies!

To those that inquired – I bought the containers on ebay – 25 containers for under $5.00. You can apparently also find them at craft supply stores and beauty supply stores.

7. Mara

Glad you are having fun with this project. Once upon a time in my other life, I used to run a handmade soap and sundries business. Check out Brambleberry.com for more lip balm recipes, containers, and so much more. Enjoy!

Thanks again ladies!

Gilly – can’t wait to see them – and yes, gloves or oven mitts are essential when taking it out of the microwave! It’s hot.

9. RedTedArt

I clocked these the other day and thought they were SUCH a fab and neat little idea.

Was wondering if you would like to guest post this over my way in 2-3mths time? Maybe for Mothers Day?

Thank you for linking up!!

Maggy

10. Isabel

This is awesome! I have been looking for ideas to do with my daughter we will definitely be making these! What size jars did you use? 3, 5 or 10oz? Thanks for sharing, I will be following your blog for sure!

Thanks again ladies!

Isabel – I used the 5oz size. They’re pretty small though so you could probably get away with the 10oz size too. I think 3oz would be way too small. Hope that helps!

Hannah – I’m so sorry I didn’t see your question sooner. I bought the empty lip gloss containers on Ebay at a beauty supply shop.

About this blog – you could put cocoa powder in it and make chocolate lip gloss, or maybe vanilla or peppermint extract?

13. TEA aka MonsterGirl

Love it!!I actually used to make this when I was a kid and forgot about it, I am going to try this!!! Where did you get those jars?? They are adorable, I actually think this looks professional you did a great job :)

14. TEA aka MonsterGirl

Thanks again ladies!

TEA – Thank-you so much! I bought the jars on Ebay from a beauty supply store. I’ve also seen empty jars on Etsy under supplies. I hope that helps!

16. Kristen

So neat. Found it on Pinterest and love this idea. Someone else mentioned they might try this with coconut oil…I wonder if that would work? I have some that I might just have to try out :) I guess it would just make more of a balm than a gloss.

17. Ally

Oh wow, this is an awesome idea, and so easy to make! I would love to feature this on my own blog, with your permission of course! I will link back 100% to your blog! Thanks so much!

Shelia – was the vaseline liquid before you put the kool-aid in? The vaseline must be liquid. This takes a long time. I remember thinking that the vaseline was never going to melt and then all of a sudden it did. Make sure you’re taking it out of the microwave every 30 seconds or so and giving it a stir. It’s when I stirred it that it turned liquid. Then the kool-aid should dissolve completely. I hope that helps!

Thanks again ladies!
    Kimberly – I don’t know exactly, but I made 9. I had some leftover, but ran out of containers so I know it would make more.

20. Lacey Silva.

LOVE this idea! My lips are chapped all year and I am always looking for new things to try! I may try adding some peppermint extract [or oil] to help sooth chapped lips. Maybe Cherry Mint? :)

krhamby – I bought them from a beauty supply store on Ebay. I’ve never checked Michael’s so I don’t know if they have them or not. I hope that helps!

wisteriagirl – I added a link at the end of the post for the sticker paper I used. If you’re just making 1 small batch with 1 pkg of kool-aid, I’m sure the small vaseline tub would work just fine!

23. Lara

I made these and I just love them. I have made more for all my sisters/mum and friends for xmas! I also added concealer to some (for nude coloured lips) and broken eye shadows/blushes for stronger pinks! RE: using coconut oil I think it wouldn’t be stable, coconut oil if warmed (in hands, or in a car or in the summer) will always turn back into liquid! Thanks for the tutorial :D

24. Elizabeth

We are trying to make this and for the life of me, we cannot get the kool aid to dissolve. The vaseline is completely melted. It’s in a very hot liquid form. We have stirred and stirred. Reheated and reheated. We just can’t get it to dissolve. What are we doing wrong?

Awesome Lara!

Elizabeth – I honestly don’t know why it isn’t dissolving. We’ve made this twice and I never had that problem. This is probably a silly question, but you didn’t add any water to the kool-aid, did you?

26. Leslie

I just made my first batch and I couldn’t get the Kool-aid to dissolve either :( It just settled on the bottom and on the end of my spoon. I used regular Kool-aid, unsweetened, straight out of the package. I’m just kinda wondering if I should just try my hand at mixing the Kool-aid into unheated jelly. It will be a work out, but maybe it will all mix in….?

27. Melissa Fountain

Well..I attempted this today..and killed my microwave. Just as my petroleum was finally getting softer (took forever..like 6 minutes) my microwave got massively hot on the outside and blew. Not sure what I did wrong..

Hi ladies!

I honestly don’t know why so many people are having problems with this and then so many are not. I’ve only made it twice, but both times I had no problems. It did take a very long time for the vaseline to melt completely, but once it did, the kool-aid dissolved beautifully and it definitely didn’t blow up my microwave. I feel so bad that some people are having trouble with this and I honestly don’t know what the answer is…..

29. Simply Jess

Found this on Pinterest…This is fantastic! Can’t wait to try this with my 3 year old who loves to use my “lips” aka lip balm.
    Question tho, if you make with peppermint or vanilla extract, how much do you think you’d use? Thanks!

30. Lisa

Just wondering but could you just put it in a double boiler while continually stirring on the stove and avoid using the microwave all together? Haven’t tried either way but wondering what thoughts were?

Simply Jess – I can’t say exact measurements for sure, but I don’t think you’d put in much. That stuff is usually pretty potent. Maybe 1/2 tsp?

Lisa – I’ve never tried that but I can’t see why that wouldn’t work. Great idea!

32. Light unto my path

I just found little containers at Sally Beauty Supply. I think they are to hold nail stuff but they are a good little size. They were $5.99 for 10. The ones that Jill uses are cuter, these have a clear lid but I’ll put the sticker on them so it won’t be too bad. I’m going to make these tonight so we’ll see. I’m excited to try them!

33. Light unto my path

Update on the lip gloss. I LOVE it! 1 cup of vaseline was too much for 1 packet of Kool-Aid. I’ll do maybe 3/4 cup next time. There is a nice shade of purple to the gloss but no flavor. It all melted and desolved perfectly. Just that one minor adjustment. Also, I’m going to add glitter to the next batch for my daughter’s 6th birthday party favors.
    Thanks again Jill! Love these!

Light unto my path – I am beyond thrilled that it worked out for you. Quite a few people have had trouble with it. I found the cherry flavor had a nice tint and had a nice cherry flavor too. The strawberry wasn’t as strong as the cherry was.

TarynArnette – use the single packs with no sugar

Thrilling Thrifties – I don’t remember the exact size of vaseline I used because I used a larger jar, but not the whole thing. Did you use a black cherry flavor? Maybe that would turn it more purple? It’s probably hard to tell from the pictures, but the cherry turned out very dark pink.

36. Thrilling Thrifties

No, it was actually the Cherry. I’m thinking that I might not have added enough koolaid, so I think I’ll try again. I love the idea, this is a fun craft to do with my girls for Christmas gifts for their friends! So glad I stumbled upon you on Pintrest!

37. 3b25e196-14f3-11e1-9aa0-000bcdcb2996

Just finished making these! My only problem was getting the crystals to dissolve, any tips? I kinda wondered about using a couple drops of water to activate the crystals and then mix that in? OR I wonder if it just wasnt hot enough, all the vaseline did melt and was watery but the crystals just wouldnt give…and I stirred for ever.I also used little storage containers from Michaels that people use to store their jewelry beads…a set of 9 for like $3…they are clear plastic, the same size and close tightly. I just bought cute LIP stickers and put it on the lid, very cute! I love the way they turned out. :)

38. Your Mother

I couldn’t get my koolaid to dissolve either and it turned the lipgloss grey – (I used grape flavour)lol…I think I’ll forego the koolaid altogether and just add some grapefruit essential oil or peppermint.
    I also stopped using my microwave and opted to use the stove (worked perfect). Because after about 5 minutes in the microwave the Vaseline wasn’t melting and the inside of my microwave was getting really, really hot!
    Great idea to tweak though!!! Thanks so much! :)

Hi ladies!

I’m so frustrated that some of you are having trouble getting the crystals to dissolve and some of you aren’t. I have no idea why this is happening!! I’ve only made them twice, but I never had a problem either.

Melting the vaseline on the stove is a brilliant idea. If I make these again, I’ll definitely do it that way versus the microwave. Thanks for the tip.

40. Lara

Made another batch today using MAC pigments for colour, they look GREAT! Last time I skipped the koolaid and I tried it this time and mine never dissolved either. Crush up some old eye shadows ladies and these are great! :D

41. * Sarah *

You said you used 5 oz containers, all I’m finding online is 5 grams… that is probably too small? I live in a small city without a nice craft shop to just run to… if I can’t find it online I’ll have to wait till I go to the city. Do you have the link or name of the seller you got your jars from in case they still have more to sell?

42. * Sarah *

OK, I’ve been looking at all my other lip gloss containers and I’ve decided you meant you got the 5 gram containers. I’m excited to try this! Thanks for the idea!

43. Brooke

Well, I’m having the same problem as a lot of other ladies here. I used 1 cup of Vaseline as you stated, and one packet of Strawberry Kool-Aid. The Kool- Aid crystals won’t melt, and it is not a pretty pink color. It’s dark purple! I guess I’ll try making it with peppermint extract instead.

Brooke – I’m so sorry you had trouble with this. It’s driving me crazy that about half have had success and half haven’t. Maybe we’re using different brands of petroleum jelly/vaseline???? So sorry!

45. Sisterbrenda

I all so saw this on pinterest and wanted to check your blog out.. Very nice.. I all so wanted to make this.. I did read the comments but I’m wondering if you can use a cheaper brand of Vaseline? and not a name brand.. Thanks.. God Bless

46. Brooke

Oh Kathryn! THANK YOU your comment, perfect timing! I just bought two tubs of coconut oil to use for making homemade lotion for Christmas gifts, and only used a little bit. So now I have a lot of extra, and didn’t know what to do with it! Since the Vaseline didn’t work out for me when I tried making this lip gloss (for Christmas gifts also), now I can try with the left over coconut oil! yay! :)

Another reader (Lara) thought the coconut oil might now work because it will always turn back into a liquid if it gets warm (like in hot weather, in your car, etc.). I have never used it myself so I really don’t know.

Just for the record, I did use a cheaper store brand vaseline, and not the vaseline brand itself. I wonder if that made a difference?

48. * Sarah *

My kool-aid didn’t dissolve. I bought Walmart brand petroleum jelly and it didn’t work so then I bought Vaseline brand and it didn’t work either. My strawberry flavor also turned dark purple…. I’m wondering if jello will work since it dissolves in hot liquid… i’m going to try it tonight, I’ll let you know how it goes.

49. stjoechic

what an awesome idea! Can’t wait to try this for Christmas gifts! (Hopefully I’m not one of those individuals that it don’t work for)
    question: Does it color your lips the color of the gloss or is it clear when applied?

Thanks for letting me know Sarah! I’m getting so frustrated with this. It doesn’t even make sense why it’s working for some and not for others????

stjoechic – the cherry one had a very slight tint and the strawberry was pretty clear. If you’re looking for more tint when there’s a comment above by Lara said she used broken eyeshadows/blushes and it gave it a great tint.

51. The Simonis Scoop

Hi, just tried this. Twice. I had no problems melting the vaseline, but couldn’t get the kool-aid to dissolve :(

I tried a second batch and added a couple drops of water to the kool-aid before adding to the vaseline. That didn’t work either. Oil and water don’t mix…I remember that now. :) Oh well, I’m glad it worked for some.

52. kathleen clymer

Well, I just tried these ! Some things went right but others did not so much… I melted the vasoline (name Brand) on the stove. It melted really fast… I used the whole container(small one) and then I added a whole package of Cherry Kool-Aid.( Sugar Free,Caffeine free)The Kool-Aid did not dissolve at first, so I dissolved some kool-aid in water and then added just a little bit of the mixture to the melted vasoline. I then took it off the heat and let it sit on the stove covered for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I stirred the mixture and it blended very well. Although the water does not mix with the vasoline so I had little water pockets everywhere. I drained as much water as I could but there is still some water pockets in the mix. All together they turned out well, other than I should not have added water. The only problem that I had was the smell ! I think it kind of stinks but my husband says that it smells like Kool-Aid. The only tip I can give all those who’s Kool-Aid did not dissolve is to mix Kool-aid while hot and then let it sit for a little bit and then mix again. Mine came out really red, and you should wear gloves if you do not want your hands to be red!

53. linds0722

I just gave it a try and I couldnt get the kool aid to dissolve either. I think that by doing it on the stove makes the vaseline too hot which is why it keeps happening to everyone. The microwave method may be the way to go even though its a longer process but at least in the end you have lip gloss!

54. Sarah

My post didn’t want to show up so sorry if this is a re-peat post.

It didn’t work for me either. Tried all the ways listed. However here is what I treid and it worked.

I disolved the koolaid with 1-2 drops of water in a dish. Didn’t take much at all. I then mixed a few drops of this in with the vasaline and stirred to desired color. I then heated this mixture in the microwave for 1min then another 30 seconds, depending on how much I had in the dish. I only did this until melted and easy to pour into my containers. I found a pkg of 2 colored contatiners at Walmart in the travel section for only 97cents for a okg of 2.

55. Castoways

I had the same problem with the crystals and strawberry kool-aid. I used a generic version of vasoline. Color wasn’t pretty and there is no aroma of the strawberry kool-aid. Sorta bummed about this one.

56. Evan and Chrissy

I also had the same problem with the crystals not dissolving AT ALL! This was very frustrating! I even tried putting it in a bowl inside of some water on the stove so I could continuously stir and mix, but I got the same results. The color did blend slightly but I really don’t recommend doing this. It was a HUGE waste of my money and time!

Ladies, I really am sorry that this is not working out for so many of you. I can totally understand how frustrating this must be. It’s completely frustrating for me because I had absolutely no problems. Worked on the first try and the kool-aid crystals dissolved immediately. Now, I am Canadian, is Canadian kool-aid possibly different that the U.S. kind? But it did work for some other commenters on here and I don’t think they were all Canadian. Hmmm. I really am at a loss.

I added a disclaimer to the top of this post to hopefully warn others that it might not be successful. To those that have had success, I’m thrilled! To those that haven’t, I’m so sorry. I wish I had answers. I’m actually on vacation coming up soon and plan to try this again. I’m really perplexed.

59. Darlene

I wonder if it’s the additives in either the Kool-aid or the Vaseline that is making the difference. There may be regional differences in the formula for each item. I do know that different brands of each have different additives. Different flavors/brands of Kool-aid have different chemicals in the form of flavorings/dyes to give it the flavor/color it has. Perhaps that’s where the problems are coming in.

Interesting theory Darlene. I had never thought of that. Someone at my work also mentioned it could have something to do with the humidity and that changes the consistency of the kool-aid.

Six Dazzling Gems – it would depend on the amount of vaseline you use. Basically spoon out as much vaseline as you need to fill the containers you have. Once it solidifies it will be the same amount.

Kaytlyn – awesome and I really wish you luck!

61. stjoechic

ok. I just got brave and made a batch..SUCCESS!!
    Microwave at 30 sec increments worked great. I also added 2 red candy melts into the melted vaseline and strawberry koolaid..added a touch of sweetness. I found pill containers at Dollar General (2pk for $1)Definitely will try this again! Wishing success to others that try.

Hooray! Thank-you so much for posting your success stjoechic! I’ve had so many negative comments lately and hadn’t had a successful comment in ages. I’m beyond thrilled it worked out for you!!!

63. Jenelle

I’ve figured it out!!!!! The kool-aid disolving problem is a result of the liquid being way too hot. When you heat (whether over the stove like I did, or in the microwave as others have suggested), wait for it to cool until it’s almost getting solid again. Kool-aid cooks when its too hot – it must be just barely warm, luke warm, or cool to disolve properly. I found this out by mistake, as my first batch did not work. The second, I realized the scientific issue and waited for my melted jelly to nearly cool again before mixing in the kool-aid – and wa-la – lip gloss. Please pass this along. I truly am certain this is the key and the major caveat that should be included in this recipe. :-) Cheers! Jenelle

64. Kimberlyann

65. Evan and Chrissy

I posted that mine didn’t work. I let it sit on my counter for a while and after it set it looked pretty good. About a week after first making it I reheated it and then put in the containers and it worked really well. Not sure if it just needed some more time to dissolve. It doesn’t look as good as Jill’s but it turned out much better than my first batch.

66. Shelly Boegly

Another great twist on this recipe is to add a pack of strawberry or cherry jello instead of Kool Aid. It makes a wonderful exfoliating lip gloss to do every night before bed. It is great for dry, flakey winter lips!!!!

Yes!!! Thank-you so much ladies!! I’m beyond thrilled and think you guys figured it out. I’m totally going to add this to the beginning of the post to hopefully help others out when they try it. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!

68. Kennedy

I just finished making this. Super easy, I had no trouble. I made two different batches — one batch of strawberry (turned a dark purple-ey color, mild sour flavor, doesn’t show on lips) and pink lemonade (really nice shade of pink, doesn’t show on lips, also has a mild sour flavor). They both went great. I was going to follow Kimberlyann’s instructions but I mixed it up a bit. I will give directions for what I did for both. By the way, I found my lip gloss containers at my local CVS Pharmacy… it was a variety pack (I think I need to find a recipe for hand sanitizer or lotion now, lol!) and included 15 assorted things, so it was a bit more expensive (9.99). I had eight lip gloss containers, in three different sizes, so I made do, and mixed with the measurements a bit.

Strawberry – I eyeballed 1/2 a cup of CVS brand Vaseline into a plastic bowl. I put in the microwave for 1 minute intervals. Once I saw it start to melt, I stirred it every minute until it was nice and liquid-y. This was 7.5 minutes on high. Next, I took it out of the microwave and dumped half the bag of Kool-Aid in. I stirred it up, and was planning on adding more, but it was already a pretty purple-ey color, so I decided to leave it. While it was still melt-y, I spooned it into the containers, filling them about 7/8 of the way. I let them each sit for 1 minute, and then screwed the lid on. I then just let them sit for a few minutes. And tada! – I had strawberry lip balm!!

Pink Lemonade – I followed about the same thing except added a bit more Vaseline (I was using the bigger of the eight containers this batch), which was 3/4 of a cup. This one took 9.5 minutes on high.

I hope this helps… and that other people have the success I did!!
    Kennedy

1. Darcey

My daughters and I JUST made this! I used Up & Up (Target Brand) petroleum jelly and package of Sugar Free Strawberry Kool-Aid. Do you think people were having problems because it wasn’t sugar free? I heated it in the microwave at 30 second intervals, it didn’t take any time at all…maybe 4 times. I didn’t compleltely disolve it down to liquid liquid form. It stirred easiy, and nothing was on my fork when I added the packet of Kool-Aid. It did turn purple, but we don’t care! Sitting on counter now cooling. I bought something called “Cupettes” I found them at AC Moore came in a 16 pack. They are 1/5 cup size (think take out ketchup tubs), but they are heavy duty plastic and held up to the heat of the jelly. This recipe made 5 full ones. Me & my girls are very happy with this and will definitely try more flavors! Thank you!!

69. Patti MacLeith

I just made my first batch using regular cherry kool aid and store brand vaseline. I got 99 cent containers at the container store. They are clear and have a hinged lid that snaps shut. A bit pricey, but I want to give a lot of gifts and 99 cents plus cost of ingredients is still very minimal per person. These containers are more the size of a single lip balm you would buy. I did not melt my vaseline all the way, either, just got it warm and almost pourable. I used a plastic knife and sort of guided it into each container. I tapped each one down to get out air bubbles and have the mixture lay flat. I can’t wait until tomorrow to see if they set up nicely! Thanks for all of the hints everyone!

Thank-you so much for sharing your experiences Darcey and Patti. I know your comments will be used by other readers. So glad it worked well for you!

71. Tamran

yea I can’t get this to work no matter what method I try and I’ve read ever single comment listed here. I’ve used store brand and real brand vaseline. I’ve even seen vids on youtube from mothers doing it with their children and just bam it works. but nothing I do or what brands I use will work. so sad cuz I was going to use this as my pay it forward gift I am doing this year. I do highly suggest anyone that tries this do it at your own risk. I did and it didn’t work so I’m not here to “yell” just to let people know that it works or it doesn’t. Guess I’ll have to stick with the old fashion way and not the quick and easy. Well thank you for the idea at least and I’m glad that it works for some people.

Oh noooooo, Tamran! I thought everyone was having success now that we had figured out the vaseline couldn’t be too hot. I even made some more and posted them on my blog last week – this time using cocoa for chocolate lip gloss. I had no problems and even photograped the process. That is so frustrating. I’m so sorry!

73. Mama in Montana

Sigh. I’m having the same issues as Tamran. I read the comments and disclaimers first, heated the Vaseline in 30s intervals, lots of stirring, let it cool to barely warm and the kool-aid is grainy and did not dissolve. :( I’m bummed.

I’m so sorry Mama in Montana! I really thought we had resolved the issue, but I guess some people are still having trouble. I just made some last month, using cocoa powder instead of kool-aid, and took pictures and everything and posted them on my blog. I had no problems again. It’s so frustrating to me that others are having difficulty. I’m sorry!

75. Kimberley B

Hey Jill, so, I followed the revised directions (microwave, not too hot, lots of stirring, etc.) but my Kool-Aid didn’t dissolve either – it was gritty and kind of gross. So I heated the whole mess on the stove and it got pretty warm but was still gritty – but this time the grit sunk to the bottom and I had coloured Vaseline on top. I strained it off into a glass measuring cup and poured it directly into my containers (mine were 1 oz craft storage containers I bought at the dollar store – 9 for $1.25!) and they look just fine (Mine made about 20 1-oz containers. It is a light purple colour, although the final six were a slightly different, darker pink colour, and the colour separated slightly into small red dots suspended in the Vaseline, but it looks kind of cool. I just looked, and the cooled, leftover lip-gloss in the measuring cup mixed the colour in now, so it’s a nice, even pink colour, but it would definitely be hard to put in smaller containers now that it’s set up.) So, overall, I think we’ll call that success, though it took a lot longer than I anticipated! I used brand-name Vaseline, and cherry Kool-Aid (unsweetened), for the record. I also threw in 1 tsp of peppermint extract, though I’d likely add more next time. Thanks for the fun idea! Am using these in the goody bags for my daughter’s 6th birthday party on Friday.

Kimberley – I happy that you’re happy with your results. Hope your daughter’s friends love them.

Just Burr – there is a link at the bottom of the post for the lip gloss containers on Amazon. I hope that helps!

77. Alana

If anyone is interested, you make this with hot-cocoa mix, too. It’s amazing, and tastes like creamy, sweet chocolate on your lips. I packet of hot-cocoa mix in place of the koolaid. Mix in when Vaseline is still liquid, but near room temp. Thanks for the idea, Jill.

78. EKG Photography

Hey-I just wanted to post that we tried this out tonight. So big time crafter and DIY person. So had to throw my own twist into things. I make the homemade choc. candies etc. So I used my candy melter. It doest get to hot to fast and it never boils etc. So the vaseline melted just right and evenly. I used cherry koolaid. It came out purple. But it set to pink-go figure I dunno. Anyhoo-my daughter and I tried it on tonight and wa-la. Perfect. Thanks for the idea. And we Love it. Gonna do other flavors at a later date and this just might be the new DIY Christmas Smarts Gift that we get everyone every year :)

79. Lobna Ossama

Thank you sweet Jill for this & thank you more for taking the time to answer the comments & sharing the stories…
    I’ll be trying it with the jello packets soon (as a lady suggested), but just wondering is the “Kool-Aid” something like “Tang” & “Foster Clark’s”, I mean those “instant flavoured drink powder”…?

Thanks Lobna! Kool-aid would be similar to Tang (I’ve never heard of Foster Clark’s). The difference is that I used a small packet of kool-aid without all the sugar added. I think drink mixes like Tang have all the sugar added already?? Let me know if you try. I would be very interested to know if it works. Thanks!

80. ApronsbyMrsPenny

I showed a group of girls (about 12 of them ages 12-17) how to make this lip gloss last night, they loved it. I bought the petroleum jelly at the 98c store along with small containers which came with 10 in each bag. The mix was a generic but dissolved just fine (12 packs for 98c). My only complaint is the mix didn’t have a color when mixed, which I am pretty sure is why it was generic. I emptied a container of petroleum in a bowl, microwaved it for 30 seconds, stir well, 30 more seconds and then I put the jelly in the little containers and let the girls add whatever flavor they wanted. They had a blast and I am sure will be making more on their own. Thank you so much, I had fun teaching the girls. I included a very cute poem I found with the lesson. Will do again!

81. Jason and Trish

I had my 8 year old daughter and her BFF make these this afternoon. So much fun! They loved them! They made pineapple (which has a light orange hue to it), grape (dark purple) and cherry/tropical punch (light red).
    Thanks for the great idea!!!

Love this! Made it with my daughter and we are planning to make it at her Tinkerbell slumber party this weekend. I found the perfect thing for melting the Vaseline….quickly and evenly. A candle plate warmer….they are used for jar candles and I found one at WalMart for $5. It melted a large amount of Vaseline in about 15 minutes without me having to do anything (I just put it in a glass jar to melt it. It was fabulous. I also added edible glitter to ours for a shimmer, we got the powdered glitter so it wasn’t gritty. And I also found the perfect “pots” – contact cases! Each little girl will get to make two flavors and it’s the perfect little amount for 5-year-olds.

83. Marie

A cousin of mine gave me your website because i am always using lip gloss! I loved this so much that I shared it with my readers on my blog.

84. My 4 kids

I made two batches tonight for my daughter’s “spa themed” birthday party favors. I was going to have it be a craft on the day of the party but figured since it involved heating things up and since it wasn’t fool-proof, I’d better just make them for part of the favors! All in all, it came out great, but I had a couple of minor issues….the Walmart brand of petroleum jelly has a flower-y smell to it, so that isn’t appealing to the lips! I still used it, hoping the smell would be masked by the kool aid but it wasn’t. We used strawberry lemonade but it was essentially colorless. I was hoping for a pink color, oh well! We also used strawberry which turned out purple. I don’t think I’ve ever made kool aid–does the strawberry usually turn out purple or is it some sort of a reaction to the petroleum jelly? I thought that was a bit odd!! We had no problems heating it up in the microwave. I did 30 second intervals and probably only heated it for about 3 minutes total. Thank you for all of the tips and pointers!!

Thanks for your feedback! My strawberry turned out pretty clear (as you can see from the picture), but it still smelled pretty good. The cherry turned out better for me. That’s so strange that your strawberry turned purple!! I hope it still tasted okay. Even though it’s purple, I don’t think it would leave a purple color on the girl’s lips. It’s pretty sheer with just a tint of color. I hope the girls still liked it!

Hello! I’ve bought these containers from both Ebay and Amazon. There’s a link to the ones I bought on Amazon at the bottom of this post (before the comments). I hope that helps!

85. GreyFowlGraces

I think something like coconut oil or un-petroleum jelly would be a better base. Petroleum products are unnatural, and I’ve seen where they’ve been linked to diseases such as breast cancer. Just a thought, especially if you’re doing this with little ones.

86. danette

I have looked everywhere (Jo-Ann Fabrics, Micheals, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Dollar Tree) and I cannot find any type of little container similar to yours. Where did you find these??? thanks, I really want to make these, and if they turn out as cute and yummy as everyone says, they will be perfect little stocking stuffers….HELP!!!

Hi Danette! At the end of the post (before the comments) there is a link to the containers that I used on Amazon. I’ve also purchased the containers on Ebay too. I hope that helps!

2. ku'uipo aleda

I found containers at Michael’s in the jewelry/beads isle…they have screw on lids normally used to hold/separate beads but worked great for the gloss…….I Jason tweaked the recipe since it wouldn’t Worker from me 2x, 3x the charm…here it is—>

Melt 1 cup Vaseline in microwave until liquid stirring every 30sec, let cool to room temp stirring occasionally as to not get solid, in separate small cup take 4tsp sugar and 3tsp of water mix & heat in microwave 30sec, Pour a light layer of kool-aid into sugar mixture, stir til dissolved, taste, add more kool-aid until disired flavor. Now mix sugar blend into vaseline until completely blended, now pour into lip gloss containers and let set!

3. Victoria Puglisi

I got my container 2 for a dollar in the travel section at walmart. I think this was the best price I found and the most convenient to buy. No shipping fees or bulk numbers. I only needed 6 so this was great.

87. Unknown

Hi Jill,

These are great! I cannot wait to make them for my daughters party! I was unable to open the link for the labels though-any way you can email it to me please? Thanks!!

Sure I can, if the link above isn’t working for you. The link does work for most people though – did you try the links yet? They are right under the picture of the labels where it says “click here” It will bring you to google docs for an automatic download. If it doesn’t work, leave me your email. I also used the container linked above – 5ml with a 1 inch lid. The labels are 1 inch. I hope that helps!

Some of my readers have said they would try it but haven’t reported back to say if it worked or not. One person did say that it will turn back to liquid in warmer temps – like in your hot car in the summer, etc so to be careful with that.

88. Brittney Day

***I SOLVED THE “KOOL-AID WON’T DISSOLVE” CONUNDRUM!!!***

Okay… So I tried it exactly as you said (even with the additional instructions you put on your blog from others to stir a lot and do it when it’s liquid, but not so hot) and my Strawberry Kool-Aid crystals absolutely WOULD NOT dissolve! BUT, I found a solution!!

I dissolved a very small amount of Strawberry Kool-Aid crystals in a couple of teaspoons of clear vanilla extract. Then I melted my (Name Brand) Vaseline and put just a couple of drops of the Kool-Aid/Vanilla misture into the vaseline and mixed it with a wisk! It worked GREAT! I have perfectly dissolved, light pink lip gloss! And you can just add as many drops of the Kool-Aid/Vanilla mixture as you want for how dark you want it! Also, I added just a little more clear vanilla to the vaseline for smell and flavor!

Hope this helps others who cannot get their Kool-Aid to dissolve! :)

Thank-you so much for taking the time to write this reply, Brittney. I hope that some other readers out there use it and find it useful. I still find it so frustrating that it doesn’t work easily for people though. I have made these lip glosses 3 times and have NEVER had a problem melting the vaseline or getting the kool-aid to dissolve. Thankfully there are other options out there that people can try if they do encounter difficulties though. Thanks!

89. ku'uipo aleda

I found containers at Michael’s in the jewelry/beads isle…they have screw on lids normally used to hold/separate beads but worked great for the gloss…….I tweaked the recipe since it wouldn’t Work for me 2x, 3x the charm…here it is—>

Melt 1 cup Vaseline in microwave until easy to wisk stirring every 30sec, let cool to room temp stirring occasionally as to not get solid, in separate small cup take 4tsp sugar and 3tsp of water mix & heat in microwave 30sec, Pour a light layer of kool-aid into sugar mixture, stir til dissolved, taste, add more kool-aid until disired flavor. Now mix sugar blend into vaseline until completely blended, now pour into lip gloss containers and let set!

Thank-you so much for taking the time to comment on what did and didn’t work for you. I know that your comment will help someone out there!

Several people have commented that they were going to use coconut oil, but I haven’t heard back from any of them to know if it actually works. If you do try it, please let me know!

90. AshleeB

So I just made this product and it came out very nice! I did add a little pink shimmer eye shadow…just a light shade…Looks amazing!I also did the “stir” method as posted above! Thanks for sharing.

91. Sarah Ponsler

Just finished mine!! Great tutorial!! I used cherry koolaid and a cup of Vaseline (off brand). It has a purple tint to it and that’s ok, but I think it’s because the off brand is more yellowish/cloudy in color. It only took 2 1/2 min in microwave to melt the jelly, I let it rest and then added koolaid. I’m so excited to give these out to all the girls for Christmas! Also, I bought the plastic bead containers at Walmart, which work perfectly! Thank you for this idea, I’m gonna try lots of flavors and colors!!

Hi Christina! I’m not sure why the download isn’t working for some people. I keep checking it and it seems fine. Here is the direct link:

Hopefully that will work for you! If not, email me.

As for how many containers, I don’t exactly remember because I made these almost 2 years ago. It made a lot though. Each container only holds a few ml, so if you have 1 cup of vaseline, it’s going to make quite a few tubs.

Good luck!

92. angel

My little sister and I did this today. Two things we did differently were; adding honey, and making layered lip gloss. We wanted to make multiple flavors, but always ended up with extra leftover, we put the extra in it’s own container and layered it. waiting for each layer to solidify first. It looks pretty cool. The Honey helped make the lipgloss less sour and less grainy. we used whole packets of koolaid per 1/4 cup (for more color and flavor/scent)because we wanted to make multiple flavors and only had 8 containers. The stuff at the bottom was more grainy than the rest. We put honey in to sweeten it, but after you stir it, it starts to congeal with the larger grains in the koolaid mix and you can scoop that out and only pour the remaining for a smoother less tangy gloss. It also was not too sweet that you would want to lick it off your lips. It turned out just right.

93. Jess

i made these the other day and realized the koolaid wasn’t mixing well with the jelly. what worked instantly to bring out the color? i added 2-3 drops of water in there and stirred, voila! No it isn’t watered down, nor has it made any difference besides actually showing the color. :) good luck, super easy. i will be using this as part of the thank you to my clients!

1. Emily

Any other drink mix, or you can use lipstick or eye shadow, but it doesn’t taste very good :P Also, I have melted gummy worms, and other gummies, and added that to melted Vaseline. Very EASY!

94. Emily

Thank you so much for sharing! I have made lip gloss before, but it was made with eye shadows and lip sticks. Although it worked, let me say one thing… GROSS. It smelt bad and tasted GROSS! Everyone I gave it to practically GAGGED! So I tried this!! THANK YOU! They were a bit shaken when I gave to them though… Ha-Ha! Anyways, it turned out very smooth and tasty! Mmmmm…. I was very proud of myself! Minor change: I poured the runny Kool-Aid mixture into old, cleaned out chap stick containers (the tube things) and froze it instead. When it froze, it stayed solid and only took about 25 minutes to set! A lot simpler!

95. Sara

It took me a couple times to have success at this. What worked for me is putting an entire kool-aid packet in a bowl and adding only about 1-2 TBS of generic petroleum jelly. Heating it for 15 second increments and stirring lots in between. Then adding more petroleum jelly once it was already incorporated. No problems at all this way. I can’t get your link for the labels to work either. Can you email me your file for the labels and your cute little poem? sswilcox@yahoo.com Thank you so much!!! Cute idea. Teaching this to some young girls tomorrow night.

96. Marilyn

Hey there! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell
    you I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.

Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that
    cover the same topics? Thank you!

97. niki

Amazing idea! I had to make 2 batches because when i bought my first tub of vasaline i didnt realize it had added vitamin e and aloe in it so when mixed with the kool aid it gave it a funky small and taste. The second batch was with regula vasaline and so far it has turned out great. Definantly going to make some for christmas gifts!

98. Jenny K.

Was wondering if there was another way to get the download for the labels? I clicked the link in the post & It said Error Not found. I want to make these this week with my little girls so they can give them to their friends at church for Christmas gifts. Thanks so much. :)

99. Christi Waite

It is taking forever for my Vaseline to melt in the microwave I’m going on 20 min now what could I be doing wrong?

Did you ever get this to work Christi! There are many helpful tips and suggestions in the comments to help people who are having trouble.

100. Teri P.

So glad I found this as I want to make lip gloss with my Bible study girls to go with our lesson on ‘Gossip.’ The download link did not work for the labels, is there another way to get a copy of it? Thank you so much!

101. Lori

Just made this with LOTS of heating and stirring in the microwave. I think we need to be clear on what liquid means here. Mine never got liquid, like water. And it never got super hot. In fact it never really got hot at all. It was warm and fluid enough to pour with guidance from my spatula. Since it wasn’t hot my koolaid dissolved fine. First I used pink lemonade. No color or flavor. So I added in cherry. Turned lavender and had a great taste! (In fact, I accidentally ate it, as I’d just made cupcakes and licked the spoon!). Thanks for the tute.