Feb

apple and cinnamon hearts

I saw these applesauce and cinnamon ornaments everywhere at Christmas and thought they would be fun to make at Valentine’s as hearts. These are really easy to make and they smell terrific. I have one hanging from my kitchen cabinet and it makes my whole kitchen smell lovely. Here’s how you make them:

What you need:

1 cup applesauce
1 cup cinnamon
bowl
rolling pin
heart cookie cutter
straw
ribbon

1. put 1 cup of applesauce and 1 cup of cinnamon in a mixing bowl and mix well. Roll this mixture into a ball

2. using a rolling pin, roll it out until about 1/4 inch thick

3. take your heart-shaped cookie cutter and make hearts

4. take a straw and make a hole at the top so you can thread a ribbon later when they’re dry

Uh oh, someone lost interest!

5. place somewhere to dry – I used a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Mine took about 3 days to fully dry – make sure you turn them over half way through the drying process so both sides dry

6. when dry, thread a ribbon through the top and tie in a bow

Linking up to Friday Craft Day
Linking up to ABC and 123
Linking up to Kids Get Crafty

28 thoughts on “apple and cinnamon hearts

1. Kristin

I saw them too and meant to incorporate them at Christmas, but time just got away from me … love the “losing interest” picture – happens here too! :o )

2. Erin Laughpaintcreate

Hi! I am new to your blog and I love it! So many great ideas. I could not find a post about the camera you use. One of the many great things about your blog is your photos! Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas!

Erin at laughpaintcreate

p.s. you better believe I am making those cookie dough truffles! Dangerous! :)

3. Erin Laughpaintcreate

Erin at laughpaintcreate

p.s. you better believe I am making those cookie dough truffles! Dangerous! :)

4. Erin Laughpaintcreate

Jill- I just knew you were going to say that! Still kicking myself for buying the Canon Powershot G12. Of course maybe it would help if I understood all the fancy settings a little better! ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog. You have definitely inspired me to get moving on an updated blog look. I have put it off because of tech issues, but your links in the other post spelled out some of those, so thanks! Happy weekend!

Erin

5. Erin Laughpaintcreate

Erin

Erin – the Canon G12 is still a really great camera! It still has all the manual and semi-manual camera settings and when/if you learn to use them, you’ll never go back. I’ve learned so much this year about photography, but still have SOOOO much to learn. It’s fun though. About the updated blog – if I can do it, anyone can. I don’t know anything about html code and I found the tutorials easy to follow. I’m so glad I did it!

7. abby

hi jill,

i was wondering if you knew about how many hearts one recipe makes. i want to make these with a group of kids and i’m trying to figure out if i need more than 1 batch of dough.

thanks!
    abby

Hi Abby!

I don’t really know. We only made 6, but we had a lot of leftover dough. We easily could have made more. Sorry I can’t be more help!

9. Megan

I want to do these with my daughter but she is only 8mns. I’m worried the cinnamon would be too much to be ok if she put it in her mouth. Do you think there’s anything that could replace the cinnamon to make it ok for her to play with some of the dough too?

Hi Megan! I guess you could use flour, but they won’t smell pretty. I agree, the cinnamon would definitely be too much if she tasted it.