Jun

lollipop tree

These lollipop trees were a huge hit at Kirsten’s birthday party. They were really easy to make and they made great table centrepieces. At the end of the party, we gave them away for our guests to bring home. I didn’t need any more candy at my house! Here’s how you can make one yourself:

plant pot
styrofoam ball
1 bag of dum dums

1. place your styrofoam ball on top of the plant pot

2. start sticking your dum dum lollipops into the styrofoam ball, keeping the lollipops close together. Continue sticking the lollipops in until you’ve filled the part of the ball that is showing outside the plant pot.

3. done! How easy was that???

62 thoughts on “lollipop tree

1. Michelle

This is a cute idea Jill, I have also seen this in a wreath form, stick the lollipops in a white foam wreath…super cute for a birthday party!

Hi Jill,
    I have a question for you. My kids and I made sandwhichs for lunch today and used our cookie cutters to make shapes and they were hard to do. The cutters didn’t press thru our sandwhiches all the way and we had to tear off the extra pieces around the cutters which made our shapes look very messy. Is there a secret to using the cutters and having them come out as good as yours. Any tips would be great. The kids did like them and ate them anyhow but I wanted to take a picture but they didn’t come out. Thanks.

Thank-you so much everyone!

Dawn – some cutters work better than others for sure. I always cut the sandwiches on a cutting board and really press down hard and kind of move the cutter back and forth against the cutting board until the shape separates from the rest of the sandwich. Does that make sense? Hopefully that will work better for you!

Jill, thanks for the tip about cutting board, we were just doing them on our paper plates. We will give this a try and maybe I will do them at first to show the kids. They were excited to do them on their own.

5. Ms. Ward

Love this idea. I actually did a similar sort of thing for my craft fair booth this past weekend. Except, I attached one of my business cards to each lollipop and then offered them to everyone who stopped by my booth. It got a lot of compliments (and customers!).

6. Laura M

I just made this for a little girl I babysit – She’s turning 9 in about two weeks. I used a bigger ball & pot so that I could also add some blow pops and tootsie pops in with the dum dums. It’s adorable! Thanks for the idea!

7. lishynoshoes

Very cute. I did a search and found that spanglercandy.com sells boxes of dum dums by individual flavors. I am doing a French country baby shower for my friend. I am going to white wash a pot and use grape dum dums for this project to match my color scheme.

brownbetty – I had a 300 count bag and I had lots leftover after I made 1 lollipop tree. I don’t know exactly how many though. I probably used 1/2-3/4 of the bag.

Hi Mishu! I didn’t do anything special to mine, they came out of the bag that way. Maybe you got a bag that had been handled too much? A couple of the lollipops in my bag had the wrapper falling off, but I just didn’t use those ones.

Thanks Sherrie! To be totally honest, I really can’t remember. I know I had bought 2 bags of 300 lollipops and made 2 of these lollipop trees and I had LOTS of lollipops leftover. I can’t tell you for sure though how many they took because I can’t remember!

11. Marcia S.

Hi Jill,

I was wondering if you glued the foam ball in the pot? I am thinking about making this for my daughter’s class for Valentine’s Day, but I am not sure what type of glue to use.
    Thanks!

Marcia S.

12. sebernard

Dawn us metal cookie cutters they work the best for sandwiches. Jill love this but I am going to use this idea and actually make a bug using two circles, painted straws for legs etc. I am going to use long kabob sticks to make the circles stay together.

Nope – the links are not the exact ones I used. I can’t really remember what sizes I used because I made them a year ago. There are lots of sizes available, and the most important part is that you buy a styrofoam ball that is slightly bigger than the opening of the pot. That way it will sit right on top of the pot. I hope that helps!

13. Susan Corcoran

Hello. Wondering do you sell the lollipop bouquets?? Would love to have one in pink for my wedding in two weeks. Having a candy bar. Please let me know. Ty

14. Emily

HI there I love this Idea but how many lollipops did you use would a Spangler Dum Dum Pops Candy
    10.4 oz. work and how big is the Styrofoam ball please include more info on these projects thank you love and kisses great amazing idea

-Emily

Thanks Emily. I didn’t give exact measurements for this craft because it depends on what size of plant pot you use, which will determine what size of Styrofoam ball you will need. You want to get a ball that sits on top of your plant pot and doesn’t go right inside. I can’t really remember how many lollipops I used because I did this about 3 years ago now. I know I made 2 of these, had 2 bags of lollipops and had a LOT leftover.