Sep

this week in bento boxes

I am totally loving this. After making fun food fridays for over a year, it’s a nice refreshing change. Kirsten has been helping me make her school lunches and she decides what foods she wants. I love involving her in the process. My bento boxes are not elaborate by any means and they really don’t take any longer than packing any lunch for your kiddos. I usually just add 1 or 2 cute elements to each box that takes very minimal prep and time. Here’s some bento’s from this week:

bento18
This was a great bento for her afternoon nutrition break. A ham and cheese sandwich on a multigrain roll with a little cheese whale and fruit leather spout. I used my food safe markers to draw on the little eye. A container of blueberries and a peeled clementine orange.

bento16
This was for a morning nutrition break. I made homemade blueberry muffins, which I absolutely love. I also made a blueberry, cherry, apple smoothie. I make large batches of smoothies and freeze them ahead of time in freezer jam jars and take them out the night before and leave them in the fridge. They help keep the lunch cool and are defrosted by her morning break. If you’re serving one for lunch, you might want to take it out the morning of, and not the night before. I also gave her some red grapes. The smoothie container unfortunately doesn’t fit in the bento, so I had to pack it outside the box. She’s really been enjoying the smoothies in her lunches.

bento14
This was for an afternoon nutrition break. I made pinwheel pasta sauteed with butter, broccoli and parmesan cheese. I made this for supper and served the leftovers in her lunch. A sliced kiwi and some crackers with dino-shaped cheese.

bento15
Here’s another morning nutrition break bento. I cut my homemade chocolate zucchini bread into an elephant (she got 2 pieces) and put an icing eye on the top. Vanilla yogurt with a piece of elephant baran and a sliced nectarine with an elephant pick. Just so you know, I wrap the yogurt in tinfoil before packing her lunch to prevent it from spilling.

bento17
Here’s another afternoon nutrition break bento. A turkey and cheese sandwich on an multigrain roll. Little cheese fishies with food marker eyes. Goldfish crackers and fresh raspberries.

bento13
And another afternoon nutrition break bento. Turkey bologna roll-ups, some wheat thin crackers with little cheese birdies. A sliced up apple with adorable little tree picks. I dipped the apples in pineapple juice to prevent browning.

Here’s some of the stuff I used to make these bentos:

20 thoughts on “this week in bento boxes

1. Gabrielle

Great ideas!! Because of your blog, I’ve invested in more fruits and healthier snacks for my daughters. Just this week we tried blueberries and blackberries for the first time :)

2. Robyn

Jill is there anyway you would share what you put in your smoothies? Do you simply put the fruit in with ice and blend or do you add yogurt, milk, etc? LOVE the idea of freezing and putting in lunches:) Thanks!

Thank-you so much ladies!

Robyn – here are some of the smoothies I’ve made recently:

blueberry/cherry/apple

1 frozen banana
    orange juice

strawberry

frozen strawberries
    strawberry yogurt
    milk

I don’t measure, I just eyeball and blend until desired consistency. There are so many options for making smoothies and they are so easy and healthy. If you use frozen fruits, you don’t need to add ice. Then I sometimes add yogurt and you always need some kind of liquid like juice or milk. It’s fun making different kinds! I hope that helps.

Jill you make packing lunches soooo much fun. Please come and do my kids lunches too!!!!
    My computer was down all week and I couldn’t wait to come here and see what you posted, love love all your lunches here. That’s great Kirsten likes to help you and I hope she continues to always eat this good for you.
    Thanks soooo much for all your time and photos you share here for us, it means a lot to me and always makes me smile.

5. Mica

Hi Jill!
    I just ran across your blog via a pinterest board. I LOVE your blog. The crafts and food are so creative. I especially love all your hand/footprint art. You are so talented and creative and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    -Mica

6. becky johns

Found your wonderful bento boxes on pinterest and had a bit of trouble tracking down your blog, but finally succeeded and gave you credit at the top of the board where I pinned many of your fabulously fun ideas. Can’t wait to try them. You should publish them in a book someday. I would buy it in a minute!