Nov

smoothies 101

smoothies1
I absolutely love serving smoothies to my kiddos. They’re fresh, fast and nutritious. I serve them often at home and am now enjoying sending them to school with Kirsten. Smoothies are so versatile, you can literally make so many different varieties. I make huge batches on the weekends and then freeze them in my awesome freezer jam jars. It’s a perfect serving size for my kids. I take them out of the freezer in the morning and stick them in Kirsten’s lunch box for a delicious defrosted smoothie by lunch.

Smoothies are so simple to make and require nothing but a good quality blender to make them. Smoothies are the ultimate healthy snack for kids because they are high in fiber, low in fat, and packed with vitamins and antioxidants.

Lots of people make smoothies using ice cubes, but as long as you use frozen fruit or yogurt, you don’t need to. If you’re using all fresh fruit, then the ice cubes are a must. I generally use all frozen fruit, yogurt (not frozen) and a liquid like milk or juice. Frozen fruit blends best when they are sliced into smaller pieces. To do this I slice up the fruit ahead of time and freeze them in freezer bags. That way when I want some, I just grab a freezer bag and I have frozen fruit that is the perfect size for blending.

You can also add other things to smoothies like wheat germ, flax seed, honey as a natural sweetener, cinnamon, vanilla extract, protein powders etc. You can really add so many different things. Experimenting is fun.

smoothies4
Some of you aren’t going to like this, but I don’t use any exact measurements when I make my smoothies. That’s actually one of the great things about smoothies – you don’t need to measure. Just throw your ingredients in the blender and blend it up. If it’s too thick, add more liquid or if it’s too liquidy, add more thickener (like frozen fruits or yogurt). Blend till you get your perfect consistency.

All the smoothies I make are fruit smoothies and they are generally very simple. They all have no more than 4 ingredients. I like simple. These are tasty, delicious and blend up in just seconds.

This is generally the guideline I follow when I make my fruit smoothie:

• 2-3 cups of frozen fruit

• 1 to 1-1/2 cups of liquid

• 1 cup yogurt

Here’s the very simple way I make mine:

1) grab your blender

2) throw in some frozen fruit

3) add in some yogurt

4) add your liquid

5) put on the lid and blend it up. I usually have to stir it a couple times in between blending. If too liquidy add more fruit or yogurt, if too thick add more liquid. So easy!

6) then either serve them fresh right away or pour into freezer safe containers and freeze for a later date. The freezer containers are awesome because they stack and lock in the freezer to save space.

smoothies2
Here are some of our favourite smoothie recipes in our house:

blueberry pomegranate smoothie

frozen blueberries
blueberry yogurt
pomegranate juice

chocolate strawberry smoothie

frozen strawberries
strawberry yogurt
chocolate milk
squirt of chocolate syrup (yummy but optional)

blueberry, cherry, apple smoothie

frozen blueberries
cherry yogurt
apple juice

peanut butter cup (not good for peanut free schools, but yummy for home)

frozen banana
peanut butter
chocolate milk
squirt of chocolate syrup (yummy but optional)

peaches and cream

frozen peaches
vanilla yogurt
milk

chocolate raspberry smoothie

frozen raspberries
raspberry yogurt
chocolate milk
squirt of chocolate syrup (yummy but optional)

strawberry smoothie

creamsicle smoothie

frozen banana
vanilla yogurt
orange juice

mixed berry smoothie

frozen mixed berries
any berry flavour of yogurt
milk

smoothies3
Have fun making smoothies!

29 thoughts on “smoothies 101

1. Brianne

What kind of blender do you have? Mine stinks and I’m looking into getting a new one. The one I really want is the Blendtec, but not sure that’s in the budget right now.

2. Kristina

We do a lot of smoothies, too. My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy and sometimes is too tired to eat a whole meal and so we give her a smoothie most nights. She loves them! The rest of the family is hooked, too. I hadn’t thought of freezing them for eating later – we usually make then when wanted – and think I might try and make a few to store in the freezer for less work during the week. Thanks for the idea!

3. Kristina

I love smoothies as. I usually make myself one in the morning with protein powder. I recently bought the Magic Bullet system to make them because washing the big blender (pulling out the blade and rubber ring and the blender cap) got to be annoying. With the MB, your blender is also your cup, making cleanup much faster — just toss in the dishwasher and rinse the blade base. For bigger batches (especially if I’m freezing them), I’d still use a blender, but the individual MB cups have been perfect for my family’s needs.

Thank-you so much ladies! You guys have given me some awesome suggestions in your comments.

Dawn – there’s a link to the freezer jars I use at the bottom of the post. They are made by Ball and originally intended for freezing jam I think. They’re pretty awesome.

Brianne – yup, that’s my blender. I absolutely LOVE it. It’s a little expensive, but it’s pretty awesome.

5. Tiffany

We too LOVE smoothies at our house! I would highly recommend you give some fresh spinach in your smoothies a try! Just pull off the stems and throw it in…you can’t taste it but the nutritional benefit is amazing! We use spinach, frozen banana, blueberries, vanilla soy milk and flaxseed. Mmmmm!

6. Laura

Yes — these are fabulous combo ideas. :) We always add flax meal, and sometimes almond butter and spinach. Depending on the flavor we’re shooting for. Great post, thank you for sharing what you do!

7. Cassie

I love you idea of smoothies in the freezer. I hadnt thought of that. I make smoothies with a banana, berries, coconut milk a heaping tablespoon of coconut oil. I see it as a way to add MORE fat to my kids diet. I don’t eat dairy but sometimes I put raw milk or homemade raw kefir in my sons and husbands.
    Thanks for the great freezer idea!!

8. Jolene

OMGsh I would never have thought to use those containers like that. I have about 100 Avent BM containers that I wanted to throw away today. Good thing I didn’t :) I love your site :)

9. Lisa Roberts

Do you know how long the smoothies take to thaw in the lunchbox? I am concerned about leaking in the lunchbox. Do they leak and do your kids have issues with putting the lids back on the jars for the return trip home? Again, I don’t want the little bit of leftover smoothie to get all over the inside of the lunchbox. Thank you.

Hi Lisa! I usually take them out of the freezer at about 6:00am in the morning (I’m up that early for work every day), and they are always defrosted by her lunch, or so she tells me. You need to give them a good shake before opening them because the liquids separate a little bit when defrosting. The lids are screw off/screw on. Kirsten can do it all by herself, but it did take some practicing. I think it could be a little tricky for some kids – like my son. I always pack a straw with them so they can drink it with a straw instead of tipping the cup to make less mess. Kirsten has always put the lid back on – if she didn’t there would most likely be a mess in her lunchbag. Maybe if your child has trouble with putting the lid back on, you could pack a small plastic bag/ziploc baggie in their lunch to put the smoothie container in when they’re done? Otherwise I would practice at home until they get it. Good luck!

10. Eloise

Hi! I’ve just been downloading your wonderful printables, and wonder if you’ve made one for your smoothie recipies?
    I’ve been making daily smoothies for my 2yr old as an afternoon snack, but having read your fabulous blog am now making them in big batches and freezing in single serves. You’ve changed my life! ;)
    I’m using these; http://www.yumyumkids.co.nz/shop/Shop+by+Category/Food+Preparation+%26+Storage/Nude+Food+Movers+Double+Snack+Tube.html
    They’re perfect! Especially as they have a domed lid, which is prefect for shaking them when defrosted.
    Anyway, thanks for the inspiring blog!
    x

Hi Eloise! Thanks for the link to the cup you use. I wonder if I could find those in Canada? They look pretty wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Adelina! Check the canning section in big box stores – target, walmart, etc. They are made by Ball who is the same company that makes mason jars, and are typically sold in the same aisle. I hope that helps!