Jan

chocolate lip gloss and free printable

choclipgloss10
choclipgloss7
choclipgloss6
My post popular post of 2011 by far was my Kool-aid lip gloss. Since so many people seem interested in making this cute little gift, I thought I would make some more for Valentine’s Day this year. Kirsten and I decided to make some chocolate lip gloss this time, using the same steps as we did with the kool-aid. All you need is some vaseline, some cocoa powder, and a sprinkling of sugar for some sweetness. The colour is a nice chocolaty brown and leaves a very subtle tint on your lips. It doesn’t really taste like chocolate, but the sugar gives it a little sweetness. When you realize how simple these are to make, you’re going to want to make them for all your little Valentine’s.

I had some leftover lip gloss containers from the last lip gloss we made and I made some brand new lip gloss labels if anyone wants them. I printed them on sticker paper and used my awesome 1″ paper punch to cut them out. Here is what the labels look like:

chocolatelipglosslabels
If you want the labels, click here to get them for free!

* some people who made the kool-aid lip gloss were having trouble getting the drink crystals to dissolve. It seems if the melted vaseline is too hot you’ll have trouble dissolving. I took more pictures this time of the process and hopefully it helps!*

What you’ll need

vaseline
cocoa powder
sugar
microwave safe bowl
lip gloss containers
labels printed on sticker paper
1″ paper punch

choclipgloss1

1. put about 1 cup vaseline in a microwave safe bowl

choclipgloss2
2. heat the vaseline in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring between each heating (this is very important, don’t just throw it in the microwave for a few minutes!). It took me about 7-8 minutes the batch of vaseline. It will be liquid when it is fully melted. Make sure you wear gloves or oven mitts and make sure children are being supervised. This is what it will look like when it’s melted:

choclipgloss3
If you find the vaseline REALLY hot you may want to let it cool for a bit before you mix in the cocoa powder. I didn’t and didn’t have any trouble dissolving the cocoa powder but some of my other readers had trouble dissolving the kool-aid if the vaseline was too hot!

3. stir in a couple spoonfuls of cocoa powder and a sprinkling of sugar for some sweetness. You don’t need exact measurements here. Just put some cocoa powder in until you reach your desired colour. I used a couple small spoonfuls. Stir until it is all dissolved. This only took about 30 seconds. If it’s not dissolving the vaseline may be too hot. Let it cool a bit.

choclipgloss4
choclipgloss5
4. if starting to solidify you can heat again for another 30 seconds – skip this step if it is still liquidy

5. pour into your lip gloss containers and leave to solidify – a couple hours

6. print out labels on sticker paper

7. using either a 1 inch punch, or scissors, cut out the circle labels and attach to your lip gloss container

choclipgloss8
8. give to all your favourite people, but remember to save a few for yourself too!

choclipgloss9

If the lip gloss containers that I used above are sold out (as they sometimes tend to be), here are some other options you can use:

36 thoughts on “chocolate lip gloss and free printable

1. maro

I love love love it! It is a very good idea! I have recently discovered your blog and I am following you. Your work is really good! I have added you to my blog as well. Check it out if you want!

2. a.w.

I like this idea of homemade gloss. It makes nice little gifts. I’m sure people can’t help licking their lips with the yummy taste on their lips. That brings me to the Vaseline [white petroleum / paraffin]. Would cocoa butter be a better base? It’s plant-base, used in chocolates and other food products.

3. cherie

Adorable – will be doing this with my teen as a gift for her gal pals – they’ll LOVE it

Tell me, where are you getting the cute containers?

Lila – Kirsten LOVES lip gloss. She would probably put it on 100 times a day if I let her. So, no, she doesn’t wipe it off!

a.w. – I have no idea whether the cocoa butter would work or not. It sounds like a great idea though! I love cocoa butter.

cherie and joe, laurie, branko and remmy – I’ve actually ordered these containers a number of places. You can actually order up to 30 of them on Amazon for the $5 shipping. I have also ordered some on ebay a long time ago. A lot of my readers have found containers they could use at craft stores. They won’t be the same, but they are still great lip gloss containers. You may also want to check out any beauty supply stores if you have any in your area.

Thanks Sarah, I’ll definitely check it out! I usually try to make these lip glosses with not much tint because I’m making them for my daughter and her friends – who are 4. I’ll check it out for me though, I love a little tint in my lip gloss.

Moi – maybe you could? I’d hate to say for sure though because things dissolving in vaseline has been tricky for some. If you try it out, let me know. Thanks!

7. Homegrown Learners

Hi ~ I made this today with my 10 year old and her friend as a part of their Valentine treat bags for friends — what a fun and cute gift! Thank you so much for the idea! Everything worked exactly as you said it would… I will be blogging about this soon and link back to you :-)

8. Carrie

Nice to meet you! Found your site via Homegrown Learners. My girls love lip gloss so I’m definitely going to try this craft! I want to thank you for adding all the products at the bottom of your post – especially the sticker paper! I appreciate this very much.

Hi Kathy! I’m really not positive, but it’s base is vaseline and that stuff lasts forever. The kool-aid lip gloss I made last year is still going strong. The stuff lasts quite awhile. I hope that helps!

Barbie, I really don’t know if there’s an issue? It appears fine to me. If you send me an email or leave me your email here, I can email you them. I hope that helps!

10. Wilma Smith

Another great base to make the lip gloss without being petrol based is bees wax and sweet almond oil

11. Debbie

I think there was a issue beause I also can not print out the labels for the kool aid lip gloss. I had no problem with the chocolate label. it popped right up and I saved it. what size were your containers and how many did it make? I have .5 oz tins to put this in, and don’t know your size or how many it makes. I think my .5oz tins might be a lot bigger than your bottles were.
    I guess this is a very old post, so I hope you get this question.

Thanks for your wonderful recipies.

Hi Debbie! The containers I used were .2 oz and the lid had a 1-inch diameter. I can’t quite remember how many this made because it was so long ago, but it did make quite a few. Were you able to print the Kool-Aid labels yet?

12. Mya

Hi Jill cute Idea but I had a bit of trouble with the sauger when it was done I put it on and it was like sand on my lips can you help me thank you