I saw this awesome idea on pinterest, and I just couldn’t resist trying it out. A pink heart baked inside of a cupcake – can you get any sweeter than that?? These were surprisingly easy to make and they are just so darn cute. Of course, liking convenience, I used a boxed cake mix and canned frosting. I’m sure making your own from scratch is just lovely and tastes delicious, but I’m more about saving time than being gourmet. And I’m okay with that! This is how I made them:
What you’ll need:
1 box white cake mix (+ ingredients to make) – or make your own!
1 can white frosting – or make your own!
red gel food colouring
small heart cookie cutter
1. Preheat your oven according to box directions.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together cake mix according to box directions.
3. Take about 1 1/2 cups of the prepared cake mix and place in a separate bowl.
4. Add a little red gel food colouring to the 1 1/2 cups of batter until desired colour is achieved.
5. Pour this pink batter into an 8-inch square or circle pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove from oven and cool completely – you can put in the fridge to speed up this process if desired.
6. Using your small heart cookie cutter, cut hearts out of the pink cake. Set aside.
7. Using a pen, place a small dot on the outside of your cupcake liners and place these liners in a muffin tin with the dot facing forward.
8. Pour about 1/2 inch of white cake mix batter into cupcake liners. Place the pink cake cut-outs in the 1/2 inch of batter, making sure they are facing forward, towards the dot.
9. Finish pouring the batter into the cupcake liners so that it covers the pink hearts.
10. Bake according to box directions. Remove from oven and cool completely.
11. Once cooled, frost the cupcakes and decorate with cute sprinkles.
12. You will know which direction to slice the cupcake to see the heart in the middle based on where the dot is on the liner.
This fabulous idea was found on pinterest from Bake It in a Cake