Kirsten joined the competitive dance company last year and since then has become quite the little dancer. She loves dancing and everything about it. She just turned seven and I figured it was time to give her bedroom a little makeover. She has had the same (but adorable) owl-themed bedroom since she was about 2. It was time for a change. When I asked her what she would like for a theme for her new bedroom, it really was a no-brainer. Ballerinas of course! She recently had a Ballerina Birthday Party and the girls all made tutus of their very own. HERE is the tutorial we followed to make the tutus. I used that tutorial to make her an adorable tutu table skirt for her bedside table. It turned out adorable and it was so simple. It makes a great impact in the ballerina bedroom and looks fabulous.
Here is the tutorial:
What You’ll Need
1 bedside table with a round table top – I’ll link to the one I purchased off Amazon at the bottom of this post
3 spools of tulle in different colors
1 roll of no-roll elastic
needle and thread
hot glue gun – optional
How To Make It
1. Take your elastic out of the package and wrap it all the way around your round table until the ends touch. Take that measurement and then subtract about 2-3 inches so it will sit snugly on the table. Sew the elastic band.
2. Place your elastic band around something so that the elastic sits snugly around it, and it’s not stretched out. This will be where you assemble your tutu. You can even assemble the tutu on the table if you wish.
3. Decide how long you want the length of your tutu. I decided I wanted my table skirt to be 7 inches long. That means that I need to cut my pieces of tulle 14 inches long because they will be folded in half to create a 7 inch length. I wrapped my pieces of tulle around a 7 inch cutting board once which made cutting easy and precise. Cut all 3 rolls of tulle into 14 inch (or whatever length you want) pieces.
4. Now we’re ready to assemble the tutu. This method is going to differ from the regular tutu tutorial because I am going to wrap 3 pieces at the same time. Grab 3 pieces of tulle – 1 of each color – and even them up. Fold your bunch of tulle in half and pull it down through your elastic to make a loop at the bottom.
5. Grab the top ends and pull them through the loop, looping over top the elastic band.
6. Place your thumb where the knot will be and pull tight. Pull your thumb out and pull so that the tulle grips the elastic nicely without stretching it out. Don’t pull so tight that you stretch the elastic.
7. Repeat this process until you have finished the tulle around the entire length of the tutu.
8. Place the tutu around the table and you can optionally use your hot glue gun and glue the tutu to the table if you don’t want it to be removed.