It’s the beginning of bento week here at Meet the Dubiens and I love starting the week by sharing some of my favourite bento supplies. I did a HUGE post last year about all my favourite bento goodies, so this year all I wanted to do was add some of my favourite things that I bought this past year. I’ll also share last year’s post for those needing more inspiration. You certainly don’t need everything here to make a bento box lunch for your kiddos! I actually have a serious problem, lol. Is there a bento supplies anonymous group that I can join?? I need some help. No, but seriously, I broke down my favourite supplies by category and hopefully it will help you make some bento supply decisions. As always, if you have any questions, please leave me a comment!
1. One of my most favourite new bento boxes this year is the Rubbermaid LunchBlox Kit – the kits come in Purple/Pink/Green and Blue/Orange/Green I’ll have a whole post about them this week and I can already tell they will be my go-to bento box this year!! I love them.
2. Another favourite of mine, Yumbox, has come out with new colours for their previous style lunch box and a new design which will now hold a full sandwich! I’ve already used mine a few times this summer and it’s awesome! These 2 hold full sandwiches – Yumbox Anguria Pink and Yumbox Pomodoro Red
3. One of my all-time favourite set of bento sandwich cutters are made by cutezcute – see them below. Cutezcute has now come out with a new set of sandwich cutters called Cuddle Palz. I love how adorable the designs are and how easy they are to use. You can take a simple sandwich and turn it into a piece of art in seconds. I’ll have a full post about them this week too! – CutezCute Sandwich Cutter Kit
4. I’ve recently begun using special carving tools to make my bento boxes and they make things SOOO much easier. This particular set is the best I have found. These bento carving tools help you make precise cuts, circles, balls are more. I love them. Bento Carving Tools
5. New and large silicone cups. I love silicone cups in my bento boxes, but I find that most are usually very tiny and hold very little food. These new silicone cups are large and wonderful. I absolutely love them! The come in hearts, flowers and clovers – Bento Silicone Cups
6. More colourful silicone cups. I had bought these silicone cups at a Canadian grocery store and all my followers were always asking where they could get them! Well they are in luck! Amazon now carries them. They are large, colourful and add a great element to bento boxes! – Freshware 12-Pack Flower Silicone Reusable Baking Cup, Six Vibrant Colors
7. Eye picks! Are these not the cutest bento picks you have ever seen?! I adore them, and that is not an understatement. They add instant cuteness to a bento box! – Eye Bento Picks
8. Reusable silicone baran. Sometimes you need to use baran in a bento box to help separate dry foods from the wetter foods. I love these baran because they are thick silicone, bright and colourful and last forever. Did I mention that I love the bright designs?! -Bento Silicone Baran
9. And finally, new thermos water bottles. It’s no secret that I’m a huge fan of thermos funtainer bottles. My kids bring water to school every single day and their water is still cold when they come home from school after a long 8 hour day. These bottles are amazing. My kids are getting bigger though, and needed bigger bottles. I found them and they are marvelous!! – I got Purple for Kirsten and Charcoal for Camden.
So, there you have it! 9 new bento supplies that I absolutely love and you will be seeing a lot of this year.
Are you looking for more bento buying inspiration?! Here is a re-cap of last year’s post……………..
Now that my kids are getting a bit older/bigger, I’m really loving the larger style bento boxes. They can hold an entire meal for my kids and there are some really cool designs and layouts out there. I usually use these boxes for my kids afternoon nutrition break, which is like a lunch for them.
#1 – Easylunchboxes – EasyLunchboxes Classics and EasyLunchboxes Brights
#2 – YUBO – there are lots of different colours and dozens and dozens of different designed face plates – here’s a link to a blue pirate one – Yubo Blue
#3 – Yumbox – Green Yumbox and Pink Yumbox
#4 – Goodbyn Bynto – come in several different colours – Green, Pink, Red
#5 – Sugarbooger Good Lunch box – owls, bugs, and robots
My kids have a morning nutrition break at school as well as an afternoon nutrition break. For their morning nutrition break, I usually like to pack a smaller bento box that is more snack-like. These smaller bento boxes are also great for bringing out to sporting events, running errands, appointments, etc. These are my current faves.
#1 – Steeltainer snack container – White and Blue
#2 – Lunchbots – Orange Duo
#3 – Trudeau Fuel Everest sandwich box – Assorted Colours
#4 – Lock and Lock 4-square – Lock and Lock
#5 – Colourful two-tier bento boxes – Blue, Pink, Green and Orange
And then there are novelty bento boxes – super fun and super cute! These are the boxes that are both functional, and favourites with the kids. There are so many cool designs out there, it’s easy to find a favourite for your kiddo. Here are my tried and true favourites.
#1 – LEGO lunch box – Assorted Colours
#2 – Hello Kitty bento box – the one I have is currently out of stock, but here is a similar cute one – Hello Kitty Bento Box
#3 – Fruity bento boxes – Pear, Pineapple and apple
#4 – Froggy bento box – Froggy
#5 – Assorted 1-tier designed bento boxes – Hello Kitty, Bear, Panda, and Round Polka-dot
Then we have picks. I adore picks – they are probably my most favourite bento supply. There are SO MANY fun and cute designs out there and they are one of those things that add instant cuteness to any food without really any effort at all. Gotta love that! Here are my favourites.
#1 – Assorted cute and colourful animals – 8 animals
#2 – bee, ladybug, flower, clover – 4 assorted
#3 – music notes – music notes
#4 – leaves – Leaf picks
#5 – alphabet – letters
#6 – panda bear – pandas
I also really love small bento cutters. I use them to make fun design elements in the bento box, and to cut veggies and fruits into fun shapes. There are a lot of fun designs out there and these are some of my favourites.
#1 – animal cutters with faces – Animal Faces
#2 – cute small cutters with faces – 14-piece set
#3 – stainless steel veggie/fruit cutters – Large and Small
#4 – wilton alphabet cutters – Alphabet
#5 – assorted packs of small bento cutters – Set 1, Set 2, Set 3, Set 4 and Set 5
And then there’s large cutters. I mainly use the larger cutters for making shapes out of my kids sandwiches. These shapes are some of my favourites, and some of these even make sealed sandwiches which the kids think are very cool!
#1 – Cutezcute – Sandwich Cutter
#2 – Lunch Punch sets – Animals, Transportation, Puzzle, Sweets and Whimsical
#3 – Wilton comfort grip cookie cutters – Flower, Butterfly, Heart, Daisy, Round
#4 – Kotobuki sandwich sealers – Assorted Shapes
These are some of my favourite sauce cups and small silicone cups. These are great for holding small bits of condiments, or small snacks or treats. They have some adorable designs out there and the kids really enjoy these.
#1 – Monbento sauce cup – Pinks, Blues, Green/Gray, Black/White
#2 – Animal sauce cups – 4 Animals
#3 – Panda/bunny sauce cups – Panda/Bunny
#4 – Fruity/veggie silicone cups – Assorted
#5 – Animal/flower silicone cups – Assorted
#6 – Fun animal silicone cups – Assorted
#7 – bunny silicone cups – currently out of stock, will update when available
And then there are LOTS of fun bento extras. There are super fun egg molds, colourful silicone cups, decorative sandwich cutters and stampers, silicone elastic bento bands for keeping bento boxes closed and baran. Baran is an awesome tool to add instant cuteness to a bento box. I use it a lot. Here are some of my favourites.
#1 – egg molds – Car/Fish, Monbento, and Bunny/Bear
#2 – silicone bento bands – Assorted
#3 – silicone cups – 2 piece
#4 – baran – Assorted, Silicone Leaves, Colourful Silicone Flowers and Pink Colourful Flowers
#5 – assorted sandwich cutters and stamps – Bunny/Bear/Frog, Bear/Bunny/Flower, Transportation and Hello Kitty
I use bento décor items a lot. These tools can really take bento and cute food to the next level. They are easy to use and I really love them. Here are my favourites.
#1 – food safe markers – Assorted Colours
#2 – sprinkles – these are some of my favourites – Chocolate Jimmies, Rainbow Nonpareils, Jumbo Confetti
#3 – icing eyes – Candy Eyeballs
#4 – crinkle veggie cutter – Crinkle Cutter Knife
#5 – carrot curler – Carrot Curler
And finally – those items that complete the bento experience. You’ll need good drink bottles, utensils, ice packs, and of course good lunch bags. I use the skip hop animal bags for my kids smaller bento boxes, and the other 2 for their larger boxes. I’ve also been using Thermos Funtainer drink bottles for them lately and I’ve been loving them. They keep drinks cold all day and the kids love them. Here are my favourites.
#1 – Thermos Funtainer Drink Bottles – Assorted Popular Designs
#2 – Ice packs – 4 pack
#3 – Utensil sets – Monbento, Blue Rabbit, and Pink Bear
#4 – Lunch bags – Skip Hop Assorted Fun Animals, EasyLunchboxes Assorted Colours and Wildkin Olive Kids Assorted Designs
Happy bento shopping!
Looking for more? I highly recommend the bento supplies at All Things for Sale/Bento USA. They have awesome service, great shipping worldwide, and a HUGE selection of bento items. Check it out! There are hundreds and hundreds of items.